Saturday, June 17, 2006

Lobster and Biking on Cape Cod

Gandalf and Crys both called for directions within 15 minutes of each other. I rode my bike up the street and met them in the parking lot of my favorite package store. In my excitement I forgot the camera. Forgetting items would become the theme of the weekend.


They followed me back to the house where everyone got settled and we reacquainted ourselves over some cold Heineken and guacamole dip.






We agreed on a restaurant, Freestones, located on the National Whaling Historic Park in New Bedford, Ma. Soon after being seated, the manager approached us and asked if we would be willing to change tables. No problem for us, and for our courtesy, the drinks were on the house.


Sue and Margie each had a fancy martini. Gandalf and I shared a nice bottle of Pinot Noir. Both the ladies chose a huge lobster roll, Dave decided on a sirloin steak, the size of which made him bug eyed, and I opted for my favorite, chicken Quesadilla. The theme….no camera.

Sunday was a light breakfast before beginning the biking part of the QSJ Lobster bike fest.







We somehow managed to load four bikes in, on and around my car.





The East Bay Bike Path (EBBP) is a 13.5 mile paved trail that runs along the Providence River beginning in East Providence, continuing through the towns of Riverside, Warren, and Barrington, RI. The path ends/begins in the quaint seaside town of Bristol RI. A town that boasts one of the largest 4th of July parades in the country.


I wanted to ride a bit and make adjustments to the bikes for fit, but in keeping the the weekend theme, I forgot my tools at home. It must have been painfull for Dave and Margie to ride 25 plus miles on ill fitting bikes, OUCH!





















In Bristol, we took a lunch break at a local waterfront pub. Typical New England fare included, chowda, clam cakes, and fish sandwich. All washed down with some very good Czech pilsner beer. In honor of the world cup going on.







We made good time on the return 13 mile ride with the wind at our backs. Dave had to catch a flight back to Houston, and Margie was scheduled to meet business associates in Providence. Me? I had to rush home to watch the US/Italy match, and what a match it was. We coulda beat em. But a 1-1 draw keeps us in the running to advance. Beating Ghana on Thursday would do it. GO US.

No comments: