Monday, August 08, 2005

First Bonk, First Flat

A couple of first over the past two days. Yesterday, wifey and I rode the East Bay Bike Path in RI. A 26 mile round trip flat bike path. I had only a couple of slices of toast for breakfast and some water before embarking on the ride. Halfway through I developed a headache and soon after became very very sleepy. The 10 miles back to the car was not really too bad, but the drive home was horrible. I had a very difficult time keeping my eyes open. Once I got something to eat, the recovery was quick. I had heard about bonking and now have experienced it.

The second, "first" was a flat. I crossed the Fairhaven bridge, carried the bike down the stares and soon after heard a faint click, click, click. I stopped immediately and checked the front tire where I though the noise originated. Halfway sprinting across the highway Rt18, the back tire went flat. A quick check found a minute piece of glass embedded in the tire. If I had only checked the back tire, I could have prevented the glass from going deep enough. I did manage to change it after getting a ride home. My only fear is that I put the wheel back on properly so it doesn't fall off while riding, and that I changed my first tire without pinching the tube. Tomorrows ride will tell. I do have a junk bike for learning maintainance but haven't gotten around to trying anything yet.

The flat gives me another opportunity to visit Travis bike in Taunton to get a couple of tubes. The owner is great to talk bikes with,especially clyclocross bikes.

Back to the Sunday ride. I did get a couple of good pictures in Colt State park. One for a friend who just finished a ride across the US. Yup, coast to coast on a bike in just under 3 months. One picture for son Todd, and one just because it was a nice shot.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Humphry the turtle

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Can't shake the feeling of missing Todd at his old employer

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Crazy shaped bridge in Colt State Park, Bristol R.I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bonk doesn't sound like a good thing. I have a problem with eating and biking. I have to make sure I eat first, because a ride completely takes away my appetite. As for the flat...I'm on the waiting list for Wenches with Wrenches. It's a bike repair course for women, taught by women. I really hope I can get in there.